Monday, October 12, 2015

The Person of Jesus

"Jesus knew and loved us each and all during his life, his agony, and his Passion and gave himself up for each one of us: 'The Son of God . . . loved me and gave himself for me.' [Gal. 2:20] He has loved us all with a human heart. For this reason, the Sacred Heart of Jesus, pierced by our sins and for our salvation, 'is quite rightly considered the chief sign and symbol of that . . . love with which the divine Redeemer continually loves the eternal Father and all human beings' without exception.
Catechism of the Catholic Church 478.

To learn more about devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, click here.


This week since we do not have class, here is a 2-part video from Bishop Barron about Jesus.




Jesus is the incarnation of infinite love and infinite mercy. His mercy is so great, that he told St. Faustina, "Let the sinner not be afraid to approach Me. The flames of mercy are burning Me -- clamoring to be spent; I want to pour them out upon these souls." Divine Mercy in My Soul 50. He says, "[B]efore I come as the Just Judge, I am coming first as the King of Mercy." Divine Mercy in My Soul 83. Jesus asked St. Faustina to have an image painted to show the world how Divine Mercy flows out of him to all people. To learn more about St. Faustina and the Image of Divine Mercy, click the image here. We should never hesitate to turn to Jesus for all that we need, even when we feel that we are not worthy of his love. It is then, especially, that he wants to pour out his love on us and hold us close to his Sacred Heart.


PRAYER FOR THE WEEK
     O most Holy Heart of Jesus, fountain of every blessing,
     I adore you, and with a lively sorrow for my sins,
     I offer you this poor heart of mine.
     Make me humble, patient, pure, and wholly obedient to your will.
     Grant, good Jesus, that I may live in you and for you.
     Protect me in the midst of danger; comfort me in my afflictions;
     Give me health of body, assistance in my temporal needs,
     Your blessing on all that I do, and the grace of a holy death.
     AMEN.

ASSIGNMENT FOR OCTOBER 22 (the Holy Mass and the Eucharist)
     Bible - Luke 22:14-20 and John 6:22-59.
CCC - 1323-1327, 1337-1346, and 1391-1398

A note on assignments - Some of you have let us know that you are reading more in the Bible and the Catechism than what is assigned. That is GREAT! The assignments are designed to give you a basic framework for the class, but we always learn more when we read the Bible and the Catechism in context. If you have the time, I encourage you to read the sections around the assignments, and to follow the cross-references in the Catechism. And let us know in class if you find something interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment